Beautiful tailoring is endlessly versatile. Suits are a must for any discerning gentleman’s wardrobe, but stylish separates are also an excellent buy.
Tailored separated such as blazers, sports jackets and trousers are ideal for smart/casual occasions. They can give off a more laid back vibe than a full suit, without sacrificing any suaveness! Mixing and matching separates can also create more opportunity to create a more unique look.
If you’re hoping to raise your game with tailored separates, here are some quick tips from us on getting it right.
- You can get more mileage from your wardrobe by wearing individual parts of your existing suits as separates.
- If you do mix and match pieces from different suits, the golden rule is to pair pieces that have a similar fit. Two slim fitting tailored pieces will likely look great together, slim fit trousers with a looser cut jacket will not.
- To make this easier, you may want to choose the fit style that’s most flattering for your body shape and stick to that across your wardrobe.
- If you’re less confident with separates, start with neutral colours. A navy blazer, for example, will generally be easy to style with beige, grey or brown trousers.
- Once you get more secure in your styling ability, why not experiment with colour? Separates can be a great way to bring some bolder hues to your outfit without wearing it head to toe. The golden rule is to go bold with either your jacket or your trousers.
- If you have a colourful jacket and you’re not sure what to pair it with, we think a pair of beige or navy trousers is an excellent start.
- A blazer or sports jacket can look great with a pair of jeans, but choose your denim wisely. Darker washes are usually easier to style, and steer well clear of any pre-ripped styles.
- You probably don’t need us to tell you this… but whether you’re wearing a jacket with suit trousers or jeans; your shirt should always be tucked in!
Want to know more about what we can offer in the way of bespoke sports jackets or blazers? Here’s what you need to know.