Each month we ask our expert tailors to address one of your most frequent questions. This month we’re exploring how to best look after your bespoke shirts.
Investing in bespoke shirts is an excellent way to ensure that your entire outfit is perfectly fitted. A shirt is one of the most important elements of your attire as it acts as a foundation for anything else you wear with it. When you wear a bespoke shirt, you can be sure that foundation is beautifully fitted, deliciously comfortable and effortlessly stylish.
Of course, once you’ve had the perfect shirt created for you, you’re going to want to make sure you take care of it. Shirts need to be laundered a great deal more regularly than suits do, so it’s important to make sure this is being done in the correct way.
For best results, bespoke shirts should be dry cleaned and professionally pressed regularly. However, there may be times when you need to launder your shirt at home.
On these occasions, we recommend that you follow these simple steps:
- Remove collar stiffeners and carefully unbutton all buttons.
- Wash your shirt with similar colours.
- Set your machine to 30 degrees to avoid the possibility of cotton shirts shrinking.
- Skip the tumble drier as this is not good for your shirt: instead, hang them up to air dry
- How good your shirt looks post-wash will likely depend on your ironing expertise! Our favourite tip is to iron your shirt when it is still slightly damp as this can give a smoother finish.
- Always store your shirts hanging up rather than folded. Good quality wooden hangers will be kinder to your shirts than thinner plastic ones.
Next month we’ll be asking our tailors to talk us through buttons and how much of a difference they make to your suit. Sign up to our newsletter to make sure you don’t miss it.